Wednesday, May 12, 2010

StudioM | News


StudioM has incorporated. Sounds scary, doesn't it!? It really wasn't scary, thanks to Kyle Pearson at Willcuts Partners. He guided us and instilled much confidence in our hearts through the process. "And why must you incorporate," you might ask? Well, there are lots of reasons*.
-----------------------------------
1. It protects personal assets.
2. It adds credibility.
3. No one else can file with the same company name in your state.
4. It's forever. Really. A corporation doesn't end if the owner kicks the bucket.
5. Tax reasons. This is really like 5,000 reasons in one. I would know.
6. Horizon. (This is my own, made-up-by-Megan reason.) The business horizon is wide and the studio should do what it can to be prepared for the voyage into the expanses. There is hope and growth in the distance. Incorporating my business is the responsible and smart thing to do if I'd like to go the distance and find that hope and growth along the way.
-----------------------------------
Now, before I sign off, let's jump back to Reason #3. If you've ever incorporated yourself, I'm sure you quickly discovered the same thing I did. Quickly. There are no names left to choose from! We tried every rendition of StudioM with no luck. I considered that reason enough to give in to the thought of rebranding the studio. Yes, you heard (er, read) me right: rebrand. Let's be honest. The last thing I dream of doing with my life is spending countless hours generating company name ideas - punching them into the Washington State government website only to see "NO! YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT ONE EITHER." Although energized by the thought of a rebrand (since I chose StudioM on a whim in college and have never been head-over-heels), I had no desire to whittle away my evening playing that game. So I walked away. Sometime between that moment, a lulling car ride across town, the fuzzy time spent falling asleep and the alarm clock jolting me awake the next morning, I found a name. It's nothing fancy and it makes perfect sense, but it felt like a gift. Especially when I typed it in and saw "THIS NAME IS AVAILABLE". Harps chimed in and played scales in the background. At least that's how I remember it.

Are you dying to know what it is yet? Sorry, but that's like my Rule #1 when presenting anything new and creative....build suspense. The studio's 5-year anniversary is coming up in January, which would be the perfect time for a roll-out, but if all goes well, we won't wait that long. Until then (whenever then will be), let's all raise a glass to the horizon and embrace the unknown.

*Reasons to incorporate derived from list found here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! This is great news. I'll be looking forward to hearing about the name you chose. Until then, carry on! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura! I appreciate your encouragement. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done StudioMPDX!

    Did you choose a name yet?

    ReplyDelete